What We Believe
Christians who meet at the Broadway Gospel Hall are an independent group of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. We come from different nationalities and walks of life, with the common bond of having a personal knowledge of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.
We believe that:
- The Bible is the inspired, accurate Word of God: all that we do is based on the Bible’s authority;
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God” — 2 Tim.3 verse 16
- The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit—the Godhead or Trinity—are equal and united;
“For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one” — 1 John 5 verse 7
- Biblical accounts of creation and “the fall” are true, and resulted in our relationship with God being broken;
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” — Genesis 1 verse 1
“therefore the Lord God sent him (Adam) out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.” — Genesis 3 v 23
- We are sinful as a result of the fall, and that we can do nothing to bring ourselves back into a relationship with God;
“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” — Romans 3 verse 23
- Jesus is the Son of God who came to earth. While not losing his divinity, he was also a real man, born of a virgin; his death was not punishment for his own wrong-doing as he had none, but was on behalf of humanity. His resurrection and ascension assure Christians of future resurrection to eternal life;
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life” — John 5 verse 24.
- we can only be justified through faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour;
“that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” — Romans 10 verse 9
- Baptism and the Lord’s Supper (Breaking of Bread) are ordinances to be followed as Jesus instituted them;
“Then those who gladly received his word were baptised” — Acts 2 verse 41
“And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you”” — Luke 22 verse 19-20
- Jesus will return personally in glory;
“Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” — Acts 1 verse 11
- Everyone will be resurrected—to eternal bliss for those in a right relationship with God, through faith in Jesus Christ, and eternal punishment for those who have not accepted Him.
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life.” — John 5 verse 24